- Why Do We Feel Sad?
- Why Do We Cry When We’re Sad?
The chemicals and hormones disappear from our body through the form of tears. As our tears flow, they sooth our sadness or distress by withdrawing these chemical agents.
That is why many people feel calmer or more refreshed after crying–because the tears get rid of these hormones that are produced when we are sad, happy, or distressed.
- Why Do We Have Sadness?
- Why Do We Sometimes Feel Sad For No Reason?
- What makes us sad?
- Types of sadness?
- What happens when we are sad?
- Effects of being sad?Feeling Sad Makes Us More CreativeIn a recent article in The New York Times Magazine on a speculative evolutionary explanation for depression, I touched on some of these ideas:”In a survey led by the neuroscientist Nancy Andreasen, several dozen writers from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop were interviewed about their mental history. Eighty percent of the writers met the formal diagnostic criteria for some form of depression. A similar theme emerged from biographical studies of British writers and artists by Kay Redfield Jamison, a professor of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins, who found that successful individuals were eight times as likely as people in the general population to suffer from major depressive illness.”
When people are sad, they speak slowly and the intervals between words are different from that of usual speech.
Sadness > Depression > Medication > Suicide
- Colours?Colours often used with sadness tend to be on the Blue scale. desaturated and dark & moody.
Often cold and depressing”The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms. Blue can also be cold and depressing. Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty. People are more productive in blue rooms. Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms.”
This goes well with the idea that sadness makes people more creative
- What do we do when we are sad?I recall a girl from my old school who would drop her long hair over her face to ‘hide’ when she was sad, i dont know why but this memory always stayed with me when discussing sadness or depression.