I was able to gain access to most issues of fortean times dating back to 2006, this gave me alot of reference material to work with. From this i was able to spot any changes made to the magazine over time.
I was able to easily identify common design desicions, things to keep, change, alter etc
It was important for me to redesign, rather then remake the whole thing, so i planned on keeping the same sections, order and content viewers were used too.
I scanned in images from 6 issues of fortean times ranging from 2006 to present to identify ways to work, and trends.
- News section first, colour coded
- Features around centre of magazine
- Cover image same for main feature
- Consistant layout
- Ads on inside and back back covers
- Dominant colour scheme is based on the feature image, normally contrasting to stand out againsts the cover, ie dark = eye catching colours used.
- Consistant colour coding for sections
- Other then a big redesign in 2003, only the mashead really changes over time.
Changes Over Time
Mashead changes from very, childish and simple, quite cheap looking into a more traditional magazine appearance over time. Still not as good as it could be.